Saturday, April 4, 2009

More great news


Well things continue to look good.

I just had my three-month checkup with the Oncologist, and everything looks good.

My CEA score was lower than 0.4 - same as it has been basically since my surgery.

And my Glucose was 98.

So I'm happy.

On the exercise front I am glad to see that it is, slowly but surely, warming up outside.

I have been doing a minimal exercise regimen lately. walking around a track for half an hour a couple days a week, and going to Yoga class once a week. I would like to be doing more, but various distractions have cluttered my schedule.

Anyhow, one day a week or two ago, when it was unseasonably warm out, I took my bike to the gas station and got the tires properly inflated. Then it got cold out again. I am really ready for some biking once it warms up.

I also have not been lifting weights at all for a couple of months, and am looking for a gym to join. Once I get all this figured out, and I get on a more intense workout schedule, I will feel even better. (But I cant complain right now)

I told my Oncologist that I have been taking 2000 IU of Vitamin D daily, because a study showed that Vitamin D deficiency and Colon Cancer are related. He told me that was OK, but really people do not get the benefits of Vitamin D unless they spend time in the sun. The Vitamin D gets converted slightly when exposed to sunlight and the new molecule, 25-hydroxyvitamin D, is the one which is important.

See here for the lowdown on Vitamin D:
http://www.healingtherapies.info/Sunlight&VitaminD.htm

From the article: "Basically, UVB light triggers a modification of a cholesterol-related molecule located in the membrane of skin cells. The vitamin D that is created is then ejected from the membrane into our circulation system, where it travels to the liver. In this organ, it is transformed into 25-hydroxyvitamin D, the derivative that doctors use to assess overall vitamin-D status. "

Therefore I plan on spending more time outdoors. Yay! Another reason to go to the beach this summer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Colorectal cancer, also called colon cancer or large bowel cancer, includes cancerous growths in the colon, rectum and appendix. With 655,000 deaths worldwide per year, it is the third most common form of cancer and the second leading cause of cancer-related death in the Western world.[1] Many colorectal cancers are thought to arise from adenomatous polyps in the colon. These mushroom-like growths are usually benign, but some may develop into cancer over time. The majority of the time, the diagnosis of localized colon cancer is through colonoscopy. Therapy is usually through surgery, which in many cases is followed by chemotherapy.
colon cleanse review

Granny Heather said...

I read your blog with interest, as someone close to me has colon cancer. How are you now? Have you heard that turmeric can be helpful?
Thanks for sharing,
Heather Fairhead