Saturday, September 1, 2007

First round of chemo done.. thoughts.

PET scan image

Well,

The weekend following my first round of chemo went very well. I brought a chuckle to my Nurse Practitioner's face after telling him that I biked, lifted weights, and went to a DJ party till 3am while wearing my infusion pump, and everything was good. Unfortunately on the following days I experienced some gastric problems, realizing that I felt like cement inside. Several remedies later, I had the opposite problem and was up all night. I experienced painful abdominal cramps which could be the result of the chemo, or the result of my diet- which might need to be changed now to accomodate the chemo. This pain occurred in the mornings around 5am or so and I even had it this morning too, although now that Im up and about it has receded.


At the Onc office, they gave me an extra liter of fluids because I was dehydrated from the gastric experiences.. I was told to follow the BRAT diet for a few days. That being Banannas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast. But so far I havent done that fully - I did have rice and applesauce today, but needed more food in me for energy. Just toning down my intake of fatty and fried foods. I need to gain weight and maintain my weight so Im trying to come up with something workable. I had a taste for pancakes and eggs this morning, but had a bowl of cereal instead. I tempted fate and had chineese food for lunch today. Keeping fingers crossed.

Here is a link I found from the John Hopkins Center, on diet for colon cancer; before, during and after chemo: John Hopkins Colon Cancer Center: Diet and Nutrition

No comments: