Friday, September 21, 2007

Biking - Exercise

Exercise has been proven to be a factor in beating cancer. Studies have been done and here is a quick abstract of one: Impact of Physical Activity on Cancer Recurrence and Survival For one reason or another, it keeps your immune system high, you process toxins out of your body faster, you reduce stress, raise your metabolism, etc etc... its all good.

I have always been a fan of exercise and prior to all of this, for years, I was biking and swimming regularly. I dont want to swim laps right now because of the probable reaction I will have in the cold water while on Oxaliplatin, but I have been biking still, lifting weights, and am now in a Yoga class. When it gets colder out, I might just do something strange like get an aerobics DVD and work out in front of the TV.

Biking
is a great exercise which I did a lot of this summer and continue to do on my good weeks. The weather is still warm here and I will bike until the temperature drops into the 50's. So far I do a standard 12 miles, two or three times a week and have biked over 360 miles this summer. Here is a quicktime video of one of the places I pass when biking. Not only is it great cardio exercise, but a very peaceful experience too.

Hey.. So far there might be a bug in this and it could crash your browser. I will get to it soon, but give it a try. Click on the image to play short movie. (works best with hi-speed internet)

No comments: