Monday, October 1, 2007

Chemo - round 3 done.. thoughts

Round Three was a slight bit more intense- well really it just seemed to hang around for a day longer than before. The "mono-like" fatigue was more apparent, and there were moments where I was in a bad mood, but I just followed the light at the end of the tunnel and it eventually all went away after a few days. Nausea has not been a significant problem at all thanks to Kytril, but my earlier noted digestive problems came back right on schedule. I pretty much know the routine now.

Friday I had my treatment and on Sunday I was lifting weights - and made some gains in weight but went down in reps. Endurance and fatigue are the main issues and I took more naps this week as needed. Went for walks around the neighborhood and by Thursday I was on the mountain bike doing 12 miles again.

As far as the Neuropathy, the tingling and cold sensitivity were present, and I was alarmed on two occasions when I also experienced motor neuropathy in my right hand when I would handle keys. I'd go to pick up a set of keys and put a key into the door, and just holding my fingers that way was painful. Like a cramp in the hand or like my hand had jaundice, my hand would not follow my commands. I dropped the keys and slapped my hand flat to relieve the pain. These two instances lasted only a few minutes. I took some potassium and it seemed to help. My oncology nurse Shannon suggested I add 1000 mg of calcium to my daily supplements and this has helped a lot. I have not had a recurrence since. I guess it could just be a loss of these minerals due to the chemo in general.

Friday, I was back at the Oncologists office for my quick session of Erbitux. Erbitux I get weekly, the big chemo I get only every other week. The Erbitux treatment really has no side-effects, aside from the "Erbitux rash" the acne-like breakout on my face. But the Benedryl that I get with it really knocked me out.

Acupuncture on Saturday morning went well. I really feel it is helping. Not only with neuropathy, but Dr Lee, my acupuncturist, is also targeting my immune system in different ways too. She gave me some Milk Thistle to help detox the liver, since there are so many different drugs getting metabolized in me now. She also noted a knot in the muscles between my thumb and forefinger and made adjustments to treat it. Later that night I was up till the wee hours of the morning enjoying my High School Reunion. It was a blast.

Sunday afternoon I was back in the gym, lifting weights and making very significant gains. I have the whole week to feel great now.

No comments: